1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plot Decoding and Puzzles

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Discussions' started by RazorsKiss, Feb 2, 2018.

1. RazorsKiss

RazorsKiss Senior Magnate

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Is there some widespread enthusiasm for this stuff in the community that I hadn't recognized, when reading back through previous stories?

There's like two people who even seem to know how to decode stuff out of base64, etc (or care enough to do so) - I'm one of those two, and I just got back recently, so I doubt it was for my benefit, since I also doubt anyone knew that about me.

Is there some other reason the entire storyline (such as it is, and what there is of it) seems be advancing on the basis of something only a couple people care about/can do? It makes for a bottleneck, if nothing else - and devolves on only a couple of players' current interests in order for anything to continue on.

I hate to be "in the news" all the time for something I'm not really all that interested in - but I decode their stuff because only Hammer and I seem to know how - and Hammer only plays every few weeks, if that. I'd hate to contribute to that bottleneck, and reinforce a reputation of being a "GM's pet" - especially when I'd really prefer everyone not to be reliant on whether I happen to be around at a particular time.

Am I missing something? If I'm decoding "happy halloween" and JPR ads for Cromforge, I'd prefer to spend my time more wisely, as it's limited. The Solrain signal puzzle had an interesting ending, if somewhat irrelevant in any practical terms - but getting one interesting factoid out of five or so doesn't seem to be an efficient investment of my time - and a first principle of game design (at least in modern gaming) is "don't waste a player's time".

2. Flowbar

Flowbar Senior Magnate

Feb 1, 2006
    Ratings:
    +78 / 3 / -0
    Oh, it was intentional, I thought it was just a slip from the admins.

I know what base64 is, but I can't say I ever thought a KTRI message would be base64 encoded for any kind of "enjoyment".

3. MadCat

MadCat Recruit

Jan 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure there are also many pilots like me that have been away for a while and don't have a clue where to start with this sort of thing.

Aside from the obvious KTRI message, where do the codes even come from?
    How do I get them out of the game and into a format that can be worked with?
    What tools do I need to work on them?

If this is the way the story is going to get pushed forward we need a more structured and accessible way for pilots to contribute.

4. RazorsKiss

RazorsKiss Senior Magnate

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    There are two ways I've seen these codes messages appear - one is on automagically appearing "DSS" data extracted by an NPC named "Jalil" - a Quantar guy who apparently does this for a living, ICly. The other is by coded strings appearing in-game on KTRI, like the other night. What I do is just pop them into a base64/ascii/hex/binary decrypter/encrypter I had lying around from my old h4x0r days (and which I learned how to manipulate as an electronics/IT tech). I don't read them - I just pop them in a tool, and pop it back out. I think it's a rather tedious (and time-consuming) way to release information, but the storyline people seem obsessed with it, so whatevs.

For ingame stuff, I've had to type the strings out into notepad++ or something, then feed them into my decrypter - or to a website I bookmarked that can do the same things in a more limited way. For the DSS info, Jalil posts them on his plog, usually.