1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elite: Dangerous Roll Call

Discussion in 'Elite: Dangerous Talk' started by Jump, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Taymar

Taymar Apprentice

Jul 25, 2008
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've picked E: D back up again after a long lay off, there were things that needed sorting in game and it appears that most have been.

I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy open space and the opportunity to make my own mess. Really enjoying myself in the Elite Universe at the moment, just like old times.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    Who here still plays? And anyone buying "Horizons"? I myself was thinking of jumping back into the game, but I'm sure I'll get ripped up if I go it alone so hoping some folks were still around and playing.

3. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +320 / 40 / -2
    Dumb question -- do you HAVE to buy the new upgrade to play? I have yet to get my money's worth out of the initial $40.

4. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    No, you don't have to buy. The two versions will use the same universe so you can still play together but you just can't do the new stuff like landing on planets.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +320 / 40 / -2
    Excellent. Thanks!

6. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    How they've set it up is that the game will be broken down into 'Seasons' of content. The initial game classes as 'Season 1'. Horizons sees the conclusion of 'Season 1' and the start of 'Season 2'.

If you purchase Horizons you then get all of 'Seasons 2' worth of content releases for the next year or however long the season lasts thrown in.

If you don't have Horizons then you will still get some of the new content moving forward as it's core to the entire game, but you won't get any of the 'Season 2' specific content, like planetary landings, planet exploration and so forth.

The full extent of how much will be tied to being 'Season 2' specific content isn't quite clear yet other than all the planetary stuff is most definitely locked behind Horizons.

As far as the:

* Multi-crewed ships with shared manageable controls (E.G. One player piloting, another on the turrets).
    * Pilotable (both physically and remotely) ship deployed fighters.
    * Customised player avatars.
    * Crafting
    * And all the other changes coming over the duration of 'Season 2'.

I don't believe Frontier have actually given a full list of what of all that be locked behind the expansion and what is regarded as 'Free Core content'.

7. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I went ahead and bought it. I figure it'll be a while till it hits a 25% off sale, and I really do like the game. Not sure if the driving on planets stuff is to my taste, but hopefully whatever other changes they come out with this year will be.

8. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of purchasing Horizons, Frontiers store is under heavy load at the moment and it's taking significant amounts of time for certain transactions (Like Paypal) to actually get processed and cleared by Frontier.

During which Paypal will show Frontier are authorised to take the amount, your bank will also show the funds removed from your available amount whilst it's on-hold, but Frontier can take well over a hour to actually process things their end. During which nothing to do with the transaction will show up on your Frontier Account, quite a few people about reporting the problem and getting all panicy and wondering if they've been ripped out.... but it's just Frontiers store being swamped and is something they've acknowledged they're working on speeding up.

9. selbie

selbie Senior Magnate

May 18, 2008
    Ratings:
    +209 / 6 / -1
    Yeah I can't even access my account page at the moment. The site just keeps kicking me back to the Terms and Conditions agreement :|

10. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    Yeah... Servers down for update and it appears that includes the login server. Would be cool if they had a way to distribute the client during downtime.

11. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +320 / 40 / -2
    Yeah -- I really don't like the game -- but I often "re-try" things periodically (except for brussels sprouts) to see if my tastes have changed. So I'm glad to hear that my original version will still be playable ... because I certainly wouldn't pay a penny more to "re-try" under the circumstances.

12. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Seems they have done exactly that now.

https://www.frontierstore.net/ takes you to a placeholder page with a link to download and install the Horizons launcher. Though yeah, you won't actually be able to download the client until it's actually fully been updated and being distributed again.

Which is pretty much how every online updater under the sun functions.

13. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I seem to remember LOTRO, EVE, and WoW's launchers/patchers would be able to pull the new client while the server was being updated...I don't play many MMO's, so others may have similar ability. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to tell the launcher "Look here for the latest client" or "Check the version file here, update from this server if necessary" and having that server simply be a "file server" and not a game server. It wasn't a big deal to me since I was at work and just RD'd to my home machine at 3 PM Eastern time and started the update, it was done when I got home (didn't need a new launcher, it uses the same one with an update that I was able to pull while the servers were being updated). I feel for the folks in the UK and farther west who lost a good chunk of their evening if they had to pull the full update (instead of just patching the beta).

14. Sinver

Sinver Marksman

Aug 15, 2015
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    You will all shout at me for this, but hey, I will tell you anyway. I was an Alpha backer, £200, so get any expansions automatically. However, I really did not want to play on release, for personal reasons. Then I found it hard to get in to, and only now, having bought a new game controller have I finally started playing. Working on getting my credits, in my Lakon type 6. Stand by!

15. Daggerow

Daggerow Initiate

Jan 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Premium Beta Baker here. Daggerow Varkain

16. Romulus

Romulus Senior Magnate

May 23, 2004
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I am in the game using Oculus Rift VR. Though I have not gotten out of training scenarios yet.