1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat Gent - a Virus we've Endured

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Discussions' started by GrimGriz, Jun 7, 2020.

1. GrimGriz

GrimGriz Senior Magnate

Jul 18, 2004
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    jgpic.jpg

Which led to a fascinating serendipitous discovery

This guy, who I am assuming has to be an adult by now has done the functional equivalent of swinging by a war museum and complaining that they weren't still shooting.

That, as a community, somehow the barrier of the Russian language has prevented people that care enough to maintain servers for years from getting a volunteer coder and at least finish contraband... doesn't change the fact that what we currently have is a playable museum

... but if enough of you relics turn up to my stupid once a month things, I can stream it and draw in some kids that are in comp sci classes right now....

It'll be a lounge-party thing this month though, last friday of the month, time to be determined :)

2. GrimGriz

GrimGriz Senior Magnate

Jul 18, 2004
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    ... and the damn galaxy had already collapsed when we found it.

3. Aion77

Aion77 Recruit

May 10, 2020
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm just glad we can still play Jumpgate in whatever condition it maybe. My daughter (Kelfa) who is 9 loves the game even with the lack of players on the server. We don't mind it. We go flip beacons we had a few fights and we have a great time. Even hunted down Gent the best way we can. Sorry we didn't do a better job with the pvp aspect of it. We are a squad of 3 - two oldie (newbies) from netdevil days and one real newbie. Anyways, we even took a picture of our trouble making hoping to see more players on the servers. Trying to be active when time permits.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +337 / 40 / -2
    Other than some apparently-new bugs right now, Jumpgate is not a broken game (technically) -- it's a PvP game that no PvPers are playing. And without the PvP the other aspects of the game just are not that great. And the problem with getting PvPers to play is that you have to arratect a whole buch at the same time in order for THEM to enjoy and stick around. Plus the whole old graphics, Joystick-basis thing.

So if it's a museum, it's a museum to a style of gaming that isn't that attractive to today's market and today's gamer. But "fixing" it is not a matter of coding (imo) -- it's a matter of getting at least 30 PvPers in multiple factions and squads (plus maybe a few pirates) to come back all at once.

• Beer Beer x 1
  5. GrimGriz

GrimGriz Senior Magnate

Jul 18, 2004
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    /sqclaim this thread

I have to disagree on the fundamental 'fixing' isn't a matter of coding - first of all, since I had completely forgotten /sqclaim existed, but mainly because it's
    - a persistent universe in which there is supposed to be a "Reconstruction Initiative".

That means continual development, addition of code.
    Including POS into the economy proper - in-flight missions, building BCU into fighter craft.
    Re-rendering station interior and Map so as not to cause resolution switches and other issues
    Adding external view and gamepad support

It's not a matter of "fixing" so much as "finishing" - but a living thing doesn't ever finish
    ---------

That aside, if we can get the once-a-month PvP going - even in the microcosm of The Dark sector, we'll tap the fine dopamine hit people forgot they can experience.

When the players are content, nothing is more true than "nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd"

I don't think we'll be able to without some major draw to kickstart the regularity though

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +337 / 40 / -2
    /sq claim was a disaster