1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Got 4 Spare Invites To Google's Ingress

Discussion in 'Game Deals' started by Tikigit, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Don't think this is exactly the right place really, but it's not a PC game nor is it a console game so this seemed the most accurate place for it.

But I fired up Ingress this morning after not really touching it since I first got invited to the beta last year and noticed I have some spare invites to give away to people to access the game.

For those not familiar with Ingress, it is Google's ARG (Augmented Reality Game) for Android mobile/tablet devices that uses GPS and map data to simulate a war being waged between two factions over portals existing throughout the world.

Basically what this comes down to is, after completing the tutorial missions you pick an affiliation and then when you're out and about with your android device and a stable internet connection you can find portals and can 'hack' them for resources and if the portal has already been taken by the other faction also attack them and convert them to your factions side.

Quite the meta-game involved in it, as portals can be reinforced and they will attack you back if you enter hostilities against them and the more secure portals can sometimes involve multiple people from each faction actually visiting the location in real life each day chipping away and reinforcing portals, and portals can be linked together over rather large distances to make regions that within the game universe either protect or manipulate 'the humans' within that geographical area.

Fairly easy to communicate and keep a eye on what's going on in the area as well, as the game features a local communications service that will allow you to talk to other 'agents' in the area, and will periodically give you updates on the latest activities within a certain radius of you.

You can find out a little more about Ingress from the site, though it's little more than a trailer video: http://www.ingress.com/

And a somewhat recent article from last month that goes into some detail: http://www.techhive.com/article/204...made-game-thats-paving-the-way-for-glass.html

If anyone has an android device that can run the app (And please do make sure to check on the play store that your device can run the ingress app before asking for a invite!), send me a PM with a e-mail addy you would like the invite sent to and I'll pass one along to you... but keep in mind I've only got 4 left and will be offering them around other places as well, so the sooner you PM the more likely I'll still have one left. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jump

Jump Administrator Staff Member

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    do we need a mobile forum?

3. Milkman

Milkman Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Ratings:
    +234 / 4 / -0
    Very interesting, i have not seen that before. Sadly i do not have a device that could run it though. As for a mobile forum... everything will be mobile eventually. Perhaps a moble gaming forum would be used? Im waiting for ticket to ride to be free so i can get it on my ipad. :p

4. cpwebsite

cpwebsite Initiate

Aug 19, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I had never heard about it before but it has perked my interest so I will go do more research into it and see if I want to do anything further about. Thank you for providing this information.

5. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I just requested an invite in the app since this post is a month old and I figured you were all out. Got the code in about 1 minute.

6. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    Ok...I can get into this....what team? Looks like there are some blue guys near me (30 miles or so_

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Magnate

Jul 20, 2013
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    That's odd. They might have forgotten about me since I requested one months ago and still nothing...

8. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    Could also be region based? Although I don't think it asked for my location first.

9. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Just to let people know I still have invites, in fact since posting I received more.

Got 6 invites free to send at present, and one has been sent off to Crimson.

10. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    And....your team?

11. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    I've sided with the enlightened faction.

12. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I just looked at the website, looks like the rebels control all of my area by a huge margin. Forgot to mention, I'm in the middle of that big blue triangle where the collection of nodes is...bunch of historic buildings on Hugonaut St.

View attachment 146

13. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I'm getting some friends interested and took over the campus today...thinking of a motorcycle trip to claim some big area...any strategy suggestions?

14. crimsonghost747

Jul 20, 2013
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Haven't been playing long enough to give any strategy suggestions but damn, you must really like it if after a day or so you are already planning a trip to conquer the next area. :D

I'm enlightened too btw!

15. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I do like it, it's a kick. Got up to level 5. Did a field trip before work this morning and took out a bunch of blue fields and links they had let decay down. I picked the underdog in my area (very few green, mostly blue) so getting AP is really easy, just hack EVERYTHING. When I see a bunch of links and areas...if it's within a level....I farm a bunch of bursters and go take it out for the AP.

I am lucky, at my desk at work there is 1 field in range of my chair (so I can pick at it all day) and 2 others that drift in and out with the GPS signal. Plus a couple of the students play, so they're helping with the upgrades and whatnot. We just have to get rid of this huge blue field. lol

16. Eraser55

Eraser55 Senior Magnate

May 31, 2005
    Ratings:
    +77 / 8 / -0
    This looks something NSA uses to track you. No thank you.

17. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    I thought that too. Then I realized I was flattered that someone would want to know where I was. It's nice to feel desired.

18. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    As opposed to the passive tracking of GPS locations a disturbing number of applications seek permission for when installing that goes on as standard in such devices whenever you have the GPS enabled anyway? ;)

I actually installed "DoNotTrackMe" plug-in into Google Chrome a few months just for pure curiosity of how many sites are generally tracking various details such as content viewed, passive connectivity to facebook profiles for associated behaviour tracking etc.... pretty much every website nowadays has at least 3-4 different organisations at a minimum tracking your usage and feeding that back into one marketing database or another.

For example, JSR has hook-ups for Google, Facebook and Twitter tracking, so if you access JSR on the go if your account is associated with a Facebook account for log-in your current location and address of what you're viewing is probably fed back to Facebooks information collection process.

It also uses Google Analytics, which is for more than just giving the Web admin information. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  19. crimsonghost747

Jul 20, 2013
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Because they really do need a game which gives your GPS signal only when it's on. If they want to track you they will track you, pretty much nothing you can do about it. I don't know how everyone can be THIS paranoid and yet completely surprised when they figure out that the NSA is looking at what you do on the internet.

20. Eraser55

Eraser55 Senior Magnate

May 31, 2005
    Ratings:
    +77 / 8 / -0
    Without paranoid people, we would all be slaves.