1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat Has Jump abandoned this site?

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Discussions' started by Sinver, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Sinver

Sinver Senior Magnate

Aug 15, 2015
    Ratings:
    +30 / 2 / -0
    As the title says, has Jump gone to other places? I honestly hope all is well with him and there is no other reason for his abandoning the site other than lack of interest and he is in good health.

Jump, if you are about, please give us a shout, it worries me to not see you about these days, there are not any other decent sites to retrieve jumpgate data.

On another note, how does this site get the data from jg? Is there some for of "api" data that you can get from the server? I am curious, I have no programming knowledge but would love to learn. If anything for personal interest, but also to prepare for what looks like the inevitable death of this site.

2. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    He hasn't abandoned the site. Saw him here recently. It was my understanding that he's just not doing many updates since usage is so low.

3. Jump

Jump Administrator Staff Member

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    Jump has to work a lot of hours to pay off debt from being kept off work for three years for two stupid shoulder surgeries that could have been done in a year. Jump is tired, has very little time and can't afford to upgrade any of this stuff anymore. And frankly, yes, so little interest has been shown in the past that I'm past the point of being motivated. Plus I'm getting close to retirement so I have to think about the future more than the past.

4. Sinver

Sinver Senior Magnate

Aug 15, 2015
    Ratings:
    +30 / 2 / -0
    First of all, I start with an apology to you Jump. You have other things in life to worry about, and this site is not something you need to put to the top of the list. I in no way infer you don’t care about this site and thank you for even keeping it going.

Jump, and I’m being serious here, I would happily help or even takeover the Jumpgate part.

Also, as so far no one has answered yet, how is the data for the pilot center acquired? I want to learn how to “scrape data” and manipulate it. Youre too busy, clearly, but even if you can point me to a reference book I’d appreciate it.