1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Projects Isometric RPG Project Thread

Discussion in 'Member Projects' started by Tikigit, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    The project doesn't have a proper name to use currently, so for now it'll just be called the "Isometric RPG Project" for the time being.

Overview of the plans for the project are as followed:

• 3rd person Isometric view with static camera, but with a actual 3D world. This means characters and scenery objects are all full 3D meshes, layouts will be across a single level so there won't be any upper floors in a room, or stairs leading up to them. However depending on how practical it is to procedurally generate all the content for multiple levels of a station each time you move to a new station, there may be elevators or doorways that transport you to other areas of the station that aren't on that level.
    • Set on a series of space stations in the void of space between solar systems.
    • The overall goal for the player is simply to make it to a target solar system, however there is no FTL travel in the game universe so long distance level is accomplished through cryostasis, and as ships are not capable of making the trip in one constant attempt, stations are constructed at various points between solar systems to create a relay route where ships can stock up on supplies, repair, trade, do business, drop off passengers and pick up new ones etc.
    • Each station is technically neutral and not owned by any singular corporation or government entity, however that doesn't mean there aren't entities working behind the scenes in each station trying to sway the officials to see things their way.
    • Player will control one singular character, and there won't be any predefined class system.
    • There will be at least 6 various core aptitudes in play, with the player focusing on either at most 2 main aptitudes to focus on during the character creation process, or choose to focus on a wider number but only be 'adequate' at basic tasks involving those skills.
    • Aptitudes will range from computer systems, mechanical engineering and bio-engineering to more basic run of the mill areas such as fire arms and diplomacy.
    • Alongside core aptitudes the player character will have have a basic background that is created during character generation that will generate a basic personality profile that will determine the type of people the character gets on better with naturally... if this will just be a simple 'select a personality' list or a series of pre-set situational questions in the form of past events is yet undecided.
    • There will be multiple ways for the player to secure transport to the next station (or the one after that in some cases), this could range from simply earning enough money to book passage on a transport, to working for one of the several corporations to secure private and free transport amongst other perks.
    • Reputation with corporations and/or factions is persistent between stations, however the powers in play may differ significantly from one station to the next. What may have been a major power in your current station may hold no sway at all in the next and people will remember who you've affiliated with in the past, and if the next station is subtlety being controlled by rivals of your previous employers it may make your life a lot harder getting off that station.
    • Each station will be procedurally generated, with the layout of each station reflecting the role that station plays in the relay, some stations may be major repair outposts that support surrounding stations and ships and act as the last stop for ship captains to make sure their ships are up to scratch, others may be agricultural stations that supply that part of the network with all the food they need.
    • Out of combat, the game will play in real time. During combat it will switch to a turn based style.
    • Missions will generally take place in random generated sub-areas of the station, this will make it easier to make interesting mission specific content without having to tamper with the core layout of the 'public' areas of the station.
    Progress

Not much physical has gotten off the ground yet due to real life interfering with the time intended last week to work on the project being taken up by a last minute job interview. :(

However, so far I have created a series of template tile meshes and have made some progress on the station map creation behaviour to the extent of I can randomly create a series of runtime defined dimensioned rooms, then create a connectivity relationship between various rooms and then calculate a very rough corridor system between each room, however it's all mostly code based with little visual to it as the template tiles aren't being used yet and even then the templates are untextured so would just be blank mesh shapes which probably wouldn't interest many people so that's currently not ready to share. ;)

This evening I spent a quick hour (that includes coffee making hehe), making a concept semi-ambient track then some time after making a variation of it as part of trying to decide on the mood I want for the music itself, they're still very much work in progresses and as said they're more mood concepts than anything else... but...

Original concept (Entering The Void 1a)

First Variation (Entering The Void 1b)
    Defunct video link removed

Sound levels on the original are slightly off as I was tweaking levels whilst working on the tracks that make it up to better pinpoint sections that didn't quite work right and didn't set them back quite right before exporting and uploading. :11doh:

I certainly welcome any feedback on the semi-ambient mood concepts, or any questions and thoughts on the general outline given, but can understand if there isn't much to ask given how vague and of no real substance it all is at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  2. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    To avoid any confusion, the picture used in the videos is of Academician Prokhor Zakharov from the game Alpha Centauri, I wanted a random picture to use as the visual idea of the video to add the ambient tracks to so that it wasn't just a blank video. ;)

3. Jump

Jump Administrator Staff Member

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    The first is more subtle and the second seems more like something is impending and .....

4. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Not sure what the 'and' trailing off is about. lol

Good to hear the second gave you the impression of more like something is impending, as that was the generally suggestion I was going for behind both of them.

General idea is when you first start and step off a ship and enter the first station, and also when you enter a constructed mission area something like these would fire up and play for a minute or so and then blend out into a more natural ambient track of just distant station operational noise.

Which is why it's unofficially called "Entering the Void" as when you first arrive you're leaving your solar system to travel across the void between systems where there's only the station relay network.

These are my first ever attempts at making a music piece, the most I've previously done is just make basic sound effect loops in Audacity so they're certainly rough around the edge at the moment. Also started using a new piece of software (Linux MultiMedia Studio) which I am still getting familiar with using just the bundled pre-set instruments to make the tracks, but it seems like they're heading in the right direction. :)

5. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    I've removed the 2nd video from Youtube now and replaced it with a version with better volume levels.

Can't edit the older post any more so:

6. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    Sounds much better. I removed the old one for you.

7. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    So what's going on with this? Anything new?

8. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Hopefully there will be a very bare bones build set in a single preset station not this weekend but the one following.

Won't be all that much, just walking around, interacting with a few computer consoles, maybe the odd NPC to just have a meaningless conversation with... more just to get some feedback on the crude interface, controls and any performance issues.

9. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    Sounds like fun.

10. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Should certainly give a good idea on the art style and general feel of playing in terms of control and to reinforce that this isn't going to be a combat-centric project, if there is time I will try to fit in a option to sample different types of station so that it's possible to see how they will likely differ in layout and look depending on focus of the station.

But it'll be missing the core content that is the role actions and decisions versus consequences that stick with you, as most of the environment will be unpopulated or just computer terminals with general information about what's to come later in the station and what that means you can do rather than the eventual intended environment which would be entirely in-universe interactions with the inhabitants of the stations with no immersion breaking.

Also none of the player character personality profiling will be in yet either, it'll just be a single place holder character.

Really had hoped it would be further along truthfully but far too many distractions in life, especially when you're out of work and trying to split spare time between what you want to be doing in the long term, and trying to sort out the immediate future. :p

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Going to be hit or miss if the bare bones build will be playable enough for a public build this weekend, if I do make it it'll likely be more late evening Sunday (GMT).

If I don't make this Sunday at the latest, then may be another weekend as next week my evenings are pretty much consumed by a night course I'm doing from Wednesday until Friday.

12. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    Take a break and finish that background! :p :D