1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Jumpgate basics and starting guide

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Help' started by Alafan, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Due to the recent increase in new or returning pilots I decided to post in the forum my experiences for starting from fresh.

For a better reading experience I will split that "guide" up into multiple posts.
    First goes the things you should not do when starting from fresh.
    Tips on leveling and mining will follow.

Feel free to comment and correct, this is only from my personal experience and up for discussion.

From my experience on starting from lvl 0 there are different strategies depending on the faction.

So please see the separate posts for the different factions

For better reading, I will add a Table of Contents

#1 Introduction
    #2 Basic Instructions
    #3 General Mining Instructions
    #4 Quantar Leveling
    #5 Solrain Leveling
    #6 Octavian Leveling
    #7 Artifacts basics
    #9 Artifact Equipment
    #10 Rotacol Basics and Coordinates

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Basic instructions: Maybe let's start with the things you should not do when starting a fresh pilot.

Do not sell your starting equipment unless you already bought replacement! Your starting equip does not give you any credits and once sold it vanishes from station inventory. So if you sell your power plant or engine you cannot even start. If you do not have the money to buy replacement you are officially screwed. You need someone to bring you stuff / money so that you can start. Also do not sell your shield / radar / capacitor, you will need them!
    You may think you only need a capacitor if you want to fight, but you also need it for your mining lasers. And as said, no money gain, so doesn't make any sense!

Do not take missions to somewhere accross the galaxy, even if the displayed amount of exp / credits is tempting. You are neither equiped nor experienced enough to go through the galaxy. Big bad fluxes are waiting for you and it takes time. A lot! Stick to your faction space at least until you have 125 pol rating. Then you can decive if you want to go aboard and explore. But only with improved equipment and for sure not with the starting ship.

Do not sell mission objects, they vanish and you have to abort the mission, gaining no exp and credits. For example, if you accept a transport mission, a mission object (container) is placed in your cargo hold. You have to deliver that object to the destined station. If you dock somewhere else it will stay in your cargo hold. If you dock at the destination station it will be automatically unloaded. So you never need to sell anything for a transport mission.

Do not start if your energy output on the ship configuration screen shows negative digits before the icon of the capacitor. It means you have not enough power available if you go full throttle. Your radar might cease to work, your shield won't regenerate and you have no power for your weapons. The only thing that is allowed to go below 0 is the numbers that are displayed at "Remaining:" The reason for that is, that you will be able to fly and do everything and your weapons are able to fire, only your cap will need some time to recharge, as there is no power excess at full speed, but still your cap is loading and you will be able to fire again soon.

Do not dock at velocity higher than 100. To be precise it must be below 100, so 99.xxxx will do, but please stay on the safe side, you will also dock at below 20v. Please practice docking in the simulator, splashing on the tube or around it is not glorious.
    Do not dock when another pilot is already engaging the docking system. As all ships have a mass it interferes with one another. Even if you cannot "collide" with another pilot's ship but will rather go through it, both your course of movement will be altered. That means if a heavy freigther with lots of cargo is coming in and you get in its way with your start ship, you will be thrown of course and maybe end up as a splash on the hood.

Do not go into sectors where big bad fluxes are spawning unless you want to engage them. There are sectors where pilots may be mining and thanks to the ECM Antiflux they will not attract attention of the Conflux. But if someone without that ECM would happen to spawn a bunch of the bad purple guys and jump out again, we call that Flux dumping. Depending on the remaining pilots abilities and equipment of his ship you may just have delivered certain destruction of that pilots ship.
    There is a map available of expected Conflux threat index (FluxGuts Thread Map) of the different sectors. Refer to that map and choose your hunting grounds wisely. It is recommended to go to F5:chat and ask for guidance, it will be given. We are a nice bunch of people.

3. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    General mining instructions: You optimize your mining experience if you not only complete 1 mission per run but multiple. To achieve that you need to keep the ore that is below 1 whole unit (0.xxx) and sell it once you obtain the mission for that type of ore. However doing that with a cargo space less than 8 units is tedious work to.

You can optimize that by only keeping 1 type of ore, that which yields the second most ore while you mine. So if you go for common watch for the ore with the second most units and keep that until it is above 1. Then you can complete a common mission and one for that ore thus improving exp / run.

The ratio improves once you get the ships with more cargo space, with the LM you can usually keep all the 5 types of ore and complete the missions that available for that type of ore you have in your cargo bay after the run.

4. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Quantar: Mining, mining or alternatively mining. You are best equiped with the Storm and even the Cracker mining laser is better than what you can buy (and equip) in the first levels in the other factions. The Broker mining laser is available at lvl 2, this is a minor increase (0.045 instead of 0.04 with Cracker). Also your cargo hold is big enough (4 units) to go with mining until you reach lvl 6. Then the Breeze is available which doubles your cargo hold.

You can however opt for transport missions or even go fluxing. The Gust at lvl 3 is fast enough, but weapon loadout with 1x2 and 1x1 is somewhat limited. Better suited for fluxing is the Cyclone available at lvl 9. With weapon slots 1x2 and 2x1 you have enough dmg output to even go up to c6. You are fast, have shield size 2 and do moderate dmg, so you can try.

This should be enough to bring you up to lvl 12 when the Whirlwind is available. Again mining is your friend, the fast transport holds 14 cargo units and you can mount 2x2 weapons. That means 2x Broker or as an upgrade with lvl 16 2x Banker mining laser (0.075).

With lvl 18 you have access to the Tempest which gives you plenty of fire power to go fluxing even in Flux galaxy.

With lvl 21 you have access to the light miner named Harmattan. That ship has 4 slots size 3 for you and 65 units cargo hold. Again mining is your friend or you stay in the Tempest until lvl 26.

That gives you options for the Typhoon fighter or the Thunder cargo tow.

Lvl 30 yields the heavy miner Khamsin if you still can handle mining. Alternative is still go fluxing, you can since lvl 18 and with lvl 26 and lvl 31 you have additional fighters at your hands.

5. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Solrain: The first levels in Sol were quite hard on me. I was used to mining, but to tell the truth, der is no decent mining craft up until the light miner Quarrier at lvl 21. You could try the Premia SC at lvl 6, it has 6 cargo units in its bay but only 2x size 1 lasers. So to be honest, that sucks.

I tend to do transport missions only until you reach lvl 9. Then you have access to the light fighter Interceptor. 2 size 2 gun slots give you enough firepower to tackle c6 and maybe c7 once you have access to the size 2 ion Spitfire and have comparable range (2400). Or you go for ammo, but I cannot tell you anything about ammo.

So I truly suggest, go for transport missions in Sol space, get Sol Pol stat to 125 for the medal and then switch to Oct space. Best transport mission routes are Solrain Core <> Solrain Depot, you can do a run in 5 minutes (yes I stopped time). Also Oct Core <> Oct Depot seems to be the fastest in Oct space.

So go for the LF at lvl 9 and enjoy the fluxing. By the way, the LF is really fast, you can do transport missions too. You can opt for mining on lvl 12 with the fast transport Phaeton, 15 cargo 2x size 2 mining laser, use Broker and once you hit lvl 16 use Banker.

I still recommend doing some mining once the LM is available, but that is up to you. Once you hit lvl 26 you have the fighter Intensity and the tow Pioneer and as in the other factions lvl 30 opens up the heavy miner Lodestar which in my opinion is the worst of the 3. And lvl 31 and lvl 32 bring you 2 additional fighter crafts, heavy fighter Intruder and bomber Barracuda.

6. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Octavian: Whereas the first 10 levels in Sol were hard on me, as Oct it have been the levels 10 to 21. To be honest, their fast transport sucks. In other factions I use that as a mining craft, not so much fun with the Hawk.

But let's start from the beginning. As in Sol, I recommend doing transport missions (Oct Core <> Oct Depot or Great Pillars <> Oct Depot) until you have the Oct pol stat at 125 and got the medal (nice exp!). You can switch to Sol space (Solrain Core <> Solrain Depot) after that.

As for the ships, the Apteryx is a good starter ship unless you want to do mining. Do not do that until you have the light miner Simurgh available at 21 except for the Skill Star medals.

You can do some fluxing with the Apteryx, but not with the starting equipment. I mean you can, but it is tedious work. It improves heavily by adding a second size 1 laser.

You could opt for mining with the lvl 6 shuttle Buzzard, you get 1 size 2 laser, that is good for a Broker. Most Octs risk dying out of boredom during mining, so maybe better to stick to transport until you reach lvl 9 and get the light fighter Raven.

They say you must go ammo, as said in the Sol post, that is beyond me. You can go for laser too, but either way you can go fluxing with that thing. It is fast and does quite some damage.

Once you reach lvl 21 go for the light miner and do some mining.

You only need to do that until lvl 26. Then you have access to the figher Phoenix and you won't switch back, I know. That thingy has serious damage potential wheter you go laser, ion or ammo.

I might want to add, that at lvl 30 waits the heavy miner Vulture which has 2 size 5 weapon slots. You can equip 2 mining lasers and are at least equal to the Sol HM in terms of units / second. However I deem it superior due to the fact that it has a lot more range with the Prospector.

As usual, levels 31 and 32 open up the heavy fighter and bomber.

7. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Artifact one-o-one (by Aeghwyn): Artifacts names are set together, so they are acronyms. You can break them down like follows:

e.g. a PCM-AB4
    PC = pre collapse (so that means before all went down the road
    M = slot where to equip, in this case ModX
    AB = all boost (power plant, engine, shield)
    4 = level of artifact, in this case this means 9%

another example would be PCM-EB3
    PCM = pre collapse ModX
    EB = engine boost
    3 = level of boost, in this case 8% more speed

other equipment slots as in PCX where X is one of the following:
    E = engines
    S = shields
    P = power plants

Then we have lots of PCM-XX where X is one of the following (not exclusively, feel free to add):
    PCM-AB = All Boost, boost for power plant, engine, shield
    PCM-CM = Counter Mass, reduces ship weight, so easier to manoeuvre

Then we have different levels of the found artifacts where Y represents the level
    PCX-XXY = Y ranges from 1 to 4, defining size or amount of added boost

And we have the "crap" like PC-DSS for data store something (I am just quoting here, don't blame me).

And last but not least we have somewhat semi usefull: PC-UC in levels 4, 8 ,9 and 12
    They are used to make repair beams.
    Repair beams are needed when some faction mission or TRI mission is on-going and some more or less crucial station / producer / whatever has been damaged / sabotaged (yeah sometimes we do roleplay here).

Quality of the artifacts depends on the color, we have brown, blue gold:
    brown = crap
    brown with green stripe = still crap
    blue = good stuff
    gold = good stuff

Locations where to find them: they can be found in any sector except station sectors, just like pure roids.
    They usually spawn at max 160k distance from the 0-Gate (Zero-Gate) and there is always just one in a sector. You have to get that one, than another will spawn.

Thanks Aeghwyn for that explanation!

How to get artifacts: You need equipment, thats all I know about it

8. Aeghwhyn

Aeghwhyn Initiate

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lets hope i have had that all right

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aeghwhyn

Aeghwhyn Initiate

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thats a the both easy and tricky part. If you happen to get JGRotPro running consider yourself lucky, a lot of work can be done automatically. Lets split this up into 3 Parts:

Part 1: Preparing a ship.
    In order to efficiently hunt for artifacts you want a ship that covers at least 2 of the 3 factors. Speed, Radar Range and Cargo. In theory you can get an artifact with any ship that can equip 1 modx and 1 lvl 1 gun (should be every ship there is) but you dont want that.
    You will need a Insight Gun, a Displacer and a Rotacol ModX. Thats it.

Part 2: You have JGRP running.
    Open it, switch to the files Tab. On the left site, you choose the Search Pattern fitting your Radar Range (us_50k.dat for Tow/HM or us_54k.dat for the Ranger) and drag it over to the Pattern Box. Hit Save. Head towards a sector you feel safe in. Open your JGRP and navigate to the pattern. Once you reached the coordinates for the first leg in the menu, hit Num6 (as default) once more, it will enter a "/rotacol x y z" into your chat along with some additional info. Hit Enter. The Rotacol Coordinates for your first leg are now active. Fly there and watch out for a Yellow Spot on your radar (most likely its standing alone, not near to Anomalies, Beacons and such). Once you reach the first leg Waypoint, hit the Minus Key on your Numblock, it will automatically enter the next coords, confirm with Enter. Repeat until you find your Wreckage. Found the Wreckage? Good, fly next to it and fire up your Insight. Aim at the Wreck and pass by it. I cant remember the exact speed needed to pick it up, but everything between v15 and v25 should be fine. After a few seconds it will disappear and a new item shows up in your cargo hold. Tada! You got your first Artifact! Important: If you cant find the Wreckage, you might have been distracted or made the same mistake i did. The Flight from the last to the first Leg is part of the search pattern, so dont give up if you hit 6/6.

Part 3: Here is where it gets ugly.
    If for some reason you cant run JGRP on your device, thats not a dealbreaker, just a bit more complicated as you have to enter the coords by hand. I will put them into a Google Drive later to not fill up up this Thread too much. Until then:

Good Hunting!

10. Alafan

Alafan Initiate

May 11, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Rotacol Basics and Coordinates

Maybe you already noticed that always the same gate is targeted when you jump in a sector. This is the so-called "Zero-Gate". That means that gate represents the 0, 0, 0 point in a 3-dimensional space.

You hopefully remember back from school in Geometry the 2-dimensional coordinates. There you had axes for x and y direction. If added the third axe named z you can pinpoint any location in three-dimensional space.

This exactely is used in the JG universe for every sector. One gate always has the coordinates (x, y, z) 0, 0, 0. From that point you can navigate in space. The ModX Rotacol shows you the coordinates you are at in the bottom right corner.

You can set waypoints using said coordinates, this waypoint can be targeted with your radar. There can only be one waypoint in a sector, setting a new one destroys the existing one.

Now with that knowledge you can navigate using the information from JGRotPro or any other source.
    That information includes position of asteroids, artifact search pattern, possible POS locations.