1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas My Factional Warfare System (Epic Length Edition)

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Evolution Archive' started by Karash, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Jump

Jump Administrator Staff Member

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    As a coder I have the opposite opinion. vBulletin can be moded for anything and most of the time it simply takes the importing of an xml file. Code edits are a thing of the past with vBulletin unless you need something few others want and there is no convenient hook available. Even then you can request a hook.

Of all the vBulletin mods I sell or give away, not one has to have code edited by the end user. A few may need a line added to a template but even the templates are getting more and more hooks so most don't need even that. And most others I can do the edit on the fly for them.

I have worked with the code from all of them and there is a reason I use vBulletin. Though it's not perfect, it is the best code out there. vBulletin 4.0 will set even higher standards when it is released.

2. netburnr

netburnr Senior Magnate

Aug 24, 2007
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, IPB, my current forum software is similar, no edits are really done except for the theme, and those are done from the admin panel instead of actually modifying the files which is great since you can roll back changes easily.

3. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    Yes vBulletin templates are done in the template engine as well. And you can compare all the new ones with the old when they update versions. Customized styles will always be work on major updates. You just can't have that many hooks and expect to be efficient. But I guess we have hijacked a thread now haven't we? :eek:

4. GrimGriz

GrimGriz Senior Magnate

Jul 18, 2004
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    I don't remember seeing that aE weirdness the first time I read it either...could that have happened during the server move or something?

5. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    Those are word processor codes, for bold, spacing, commas, etc. And you're right, they probably did get exposed during the transfer. I removed what I found.

6. Karash

Karash Senior Magnate

Jun 25, 2007
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  7. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    I have another option that I am playing with for major works like this. Not sure though.

8. Kerberos

Kerberos Initiate

Nov 21, 2007
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow... someone did the EvE POS death slog... As one of the groups of "movers and shakers" in the RP scene in EvE, one of the most frustrating thing was getting tangible rewards for sticking up for your respective faction as well as staking territory outside the respective factions borders in anything more than "in name only" (see CVA and the Providence constellation). One the most frustrating things was that fighting for your faction and doing well yielded no tangible change to the faction at large or your group except bragging rights. Even when the RP groups fields POSs, Outposts, and resources up the gazoo, it is still lawless space. There is no police or navy help, even though you are supposedly "recognized" by your faction. As an RP'er I wanted to see tangible results from our actions, and Im not meaning just a news post, but real, hard changes, along the lines of police/navy expanding their patrol range into the new territory, etc. Anyways over all looks pretty solid, but I wanted to point out that I can wait for true Faction Warfare as an expansion so long as its done right and we have a time line. CCP has been stringing us along for 2 years now...

Edit:
    I think that we really need to make this work is involve players that aren't necessarily directly involved in the fighting to have a stake in the battle for space. Getting neutrals involved by auto creating contracts for consumables at these stations that they can run at their own risk for a healthy profit. I also like the idea of separating all the factions with lawless space. Commerce between all factions in EvE is way too easy as it is right now. There is Faction space then low sec, then 0.0. Thats it. There should be "safer" corridors that are occasionally patrolled by Police/Navy, it should not be safe

9. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    This is still one of the best Jumpgate threads.