1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU Open to any and all ideas to try salvage this new(ish) GPU

Discussion in 'Gaming Rigs' started by Tikigit, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Card: MSI R9 270x Gaming 2GB
    PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 750W

Have spent most of Tuesday evening and yesterday afternoon right through to this morning trying to resolve some pretty serious GPU hard lock issues that have appeared out of nowhere that promptly escalated to full display artefacting the minute Windows boots up to the login screen and full lock-up 20-30 seconds after.

Everything AMD cleaned off the machine and I can at least use the machine without the GPU crapping out, but all that's good for is browsing the net, everything else kind of requires proper display drivers to be installed as... you know... display drivers are kind of important.

But otherwise problems so far have ranged from display corruption and machine hard locks, to Windows refusing to even boot until a system restore to pre-driver installation is done.

Following things have been attempted already:

* RAM, Hard Drive, PSU etc... all check out fine.

* Partitioned off a chunk of my Hard Drive to do a fresh OS install and still immediately get the problem the moment anything other than the Windows default 'Standard VGA Adapter' drivers hit it.

* Tried 10 different drivers including 2 year old drivers that the manufacturer still ships with the card.

* Checked CPU and Memory clock speeds to make sure some update hadn't botched them up, and made sure they were kept to stock levels at their peak.

* Checked GPU voltage and even tried under volting slightly in case something REALLY fecked up had happened with a driver update.

* Updated vendor motherboard/Chipset drivers.

* Updated vendor PCI adapter drivers.

* And even did a CMOS reset in case the problem was on a BIOS level.

And nothing improved things.

Some observations:

* GPU temperature from what brief seconds I can check before the problems kicks in seems fine. Around 60 degrees.

* GPU Load is non-existent when the problem happens.

* CPU and Memory clockspeeds are not outside of stock levels.

* GPU voltage is stock (Or rather what software is reporting as stock voltage.) Lower voltage feels like it does buy me a extra 15-20 seconds or so before full death kicks in.
    Looking into people with similar cards discussing things they've noted their cards handle voltage 1.3-1.5 higher than what mines set at, so I'd say my reported stock voltage is definitely within safety margins.

Only thing I can guess has happened is the memory on the card has worn out either something that's been on-going perhaps from the moment I bought the card back in February and it just suddenly concluded with spontaneous crap out, or something in the last week or so caused the voltage fed into the card to spike at one time or another and fried the memory very quickly.

Any other ideas on things to try for those technical folk out there that may read this, I'm open to even the most obscure possibility to investigate that might disprove that the cards pretty much scrap now.

I suppose I could whack on a Linux distro and see if for some crazy reason this is some random Windows-only problem that has magically appeared out of nowhere on what has been stable the rest of the time.. but that's really hopeful thinking.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. Jump

Jump Administrator Staff Member

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    I don't know much about AMD cards but do they have multiple bios? If so have you switched to another bios?

Have you broken the card down and reseated everything with a fresh dab of thermal compound? Even though you see 60 deg it could heat up with a sudden spike and kick off.

It could be you simply got a card with a fragile circuit that has finally been pushed too far. Or a bad Capacitor. Have you looked at the caps?

I would get an RMA on it.

3. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Yeah, after a few other attempts that led to no solution that's the next plan now.

4. Milkman

Milkman Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Ratings:
    +231 / 4 / -0
    Do you have another video card you can try? What about a different slot on the MB?

Edit: Also i know you said PSU checked out fine, but i have had JUST the PCIE output go bad on me once. New PSU fixed it, do you have a spare to try?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Took out the 270x and replaced it with my old HD 5770 a few days ago, and not had any problems since. Pushed the 5770 a little to see if it would drop out if it drew more power when under load and has been completely stable.

So definitely looks like a fault with the 270x.

6. Milkman

Jun 7, 2005
    Ratings:
    +231 / 4 / -0
    Bummer, but at least you know the issue then and that should be enough troubleshooting for them to replace it under warranty.

7. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Contacted MSI initially who were more than happy to extend a RMA and replace the card if it can't be fixed after testing it but they pointed out I would have to ship the card to the Netherlands at my cost to do so and suggested that the retailer may be a better option if they're more local to me so the shipping cost on returns is offset to them instead if the card does need to be sent back.

Contacted Overclockers UK and got a brief reply saying to expect a automated E-mail with RMA code and details shortly, which arrived this afternoon categorised as a 'Corruptions on Desktop/3D Applications & Games' as a replacement order.

Likely to go with returning it to Overclockers though they mentioned in the RMA E-mail that they will only check for the initially reported potential fault and nothing else so if the problem lies elsewhere beyond what they've categorised my ticket under they won't test for it and presumably will return the card as 'fine'... which is making me wonder if shouldering the extra cost to send it to MSI instead may be a safer bet to actually get a functioning card back be it the old card fixed or a replacement.

8. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Seems to be all sorted (for now).

Overclockers UK received the card, and this morning sent a E-mail to let me know they've started testing it but the process could take up to 5 days.

Around 3-5 minutes later I received another E-mail letting me know they've packaged it up and sent it to MSI for repairs and they will send it back to me once they have got it back from MSI which should take around 28-30 days at least... so I can only guess the first series of tests they did showed the card was well and truly buggered.

Didn't hear anything else so figured that was that and I would be stuck with using my HD 5770 until next year, but about a hour ago they sent another E-mail informing me they've sent a stand-in *B grade* replacement card of the same model in the meantime via next day courier delivery.

So all looking good at the moment, and extremely impressed with the speed OCUK processed the whole thing to get from Starting testing -> Identified a problem -> Shipping it back to MSI -> Dispatching a stand-in replacement... all in under 8 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    Nice. Customer service is always a priority for my purchases.

10. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    30 Days seems like an awfully long time to wait on a repair, I'm surprised they don't offer a refrb card in replacement.

11. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +818 / 50 / -0
    Yeah it does seem long. Perhaps it has to come to the US or ASIA and they ship in bulk to save money.

Nice to see you @Ratneck

12. Ratneck

Ratneck Senior Magnate

Dec 13, 2006
    Ratings:
    +55 / 3 / -0
    Good to be seen... Gotta catch up every once in a while. :)

• Beer Beer x 1
  13. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    They did ship me a *B Grade* R9 270x from their stocks as a stand-in the same day they sent my card off to be repaired.

Reason for the 30 days is likely because they have to ship it to the Netherlands (closest MSI point for repairs/replacements), then MSI have to do whatever repairs they need to do, then MSI have to ship it back to the UK, then once they've received it OCUK will probably do checks to make sure it's still working and not damaged in shipping, then they need to deliver it to me.

Even without any 'process' time in between, that's probably 8-9 days at the very least just being shipped around in total. MSI likely won't immediately start the repair as they'll have other repair orders under way, and OCUK mentioned their own testing process for hardware to make sure it's all working could take up to 5 days (I assume depending on the backlog).

14. Milkman

Jun 7, 2005
    Ratings:
    +231 / 4 / -0
    Very cool on that process and service!