1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat Star Citizen flight model

Discussion in 'Star Citizen Talk' started by Tritian, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Tritian

Tritian Senior Magnate Stella Imperia Dev

Jun 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +152 / 3 / -1
    Has there been any talk about Star Citizen's flight model? Will it be Newtonian based with mass/momentum or will it be more like Freespace?

I did see that one video where they showed off the positionable lateral thrusters / "fly by wire" aspects. That stuff was cool and realistic, but I don't remember him mentioning what the flight model would be like.

2. Jump

Jump Administrator Staff Member

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    From their website.
    That's all I could find atm.

3. Teeleton

Teeleton Senior Magnate BorderSpace Dev

Feb 6, 2008
    Ratings:
    +128 / 3 / -0
    I asked him directly in the GDC reveal, and he confirmed that it's a newtonian model. The ship has a 'fly-by-wire' system to turn your inputs into a series of vectored thrust nozzles that make the ship appear to fly like a standard atmospheric model. The fly-by-wire system can be turned off, and the various vectored thrust nozzles on the ship can be individually damaged.

blog post: Physics ? Not a Dirty Word | Roberts Space Industries

4. Tritian

Jun 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +152 / 3 / -1
    I see, interesting.

I wonder if all that work really adds something significant to the users experience.

5. Tritian

Jun 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +152 / 3 / -1
    one affect I like is that the orientation changes are affected by momentum, which is a step above what we have at the moment. and damaged thrusters affecting the capability of your ship in a real physics way is cool as well.

However, the orientation momentum could be quite obnoxious if your ship is really heavy...

6. Teeleton

Feb 6, 2008
    Ratings:
    +128 / 3 / -0
    BorderSpace does rotational inertia as well. ;)

7. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    Damn that Chris Roberts for stealing your ideas!

8. Tritian

Jun 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +152 / 3 / -1
    we have the rigid body physics simulation stuff and can place thrusters wherever to affect things (positionally) but orientation is done in a more.. contrived way at the moment.

again, i'm not sure if mass affecting rotation would be horribly obnoxious when you're hauling super-heavy.

9. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0
    I want to see explosions knock ships around or damage them. But I'm mean like that.

10. Teeleton

Feb 6, 2008
    Ratings:
    +128 / 3 / -0
    It's a give and take. The heavier the ship, the harder it is to knock around. That said, in BorderSpace, the maneuvering thrusters are mounted equipment, so if you need more powerful thrusters to swing your bulk around, then that's what you mount. Long thin ships need different thrusters than short fat ones because the mass is distributed differently. If we're able to pull it off like I plan, we should have lots and lots of "good" ship configurations depending on what you want to do with it, instead of the one good config for each hull that we had in other games. The need to trade-off one stat for another will be central to the equipment design.

11. selbie

selbie Senior Magnate

May 18, 2008
    Ratings:
    +209 / 6 / -1
    You'll see that in Elite: Dangerous :) Damage will rip open portions of the hull to reveal whats inside.

12. selbie

selbie Senior Magnate

May 18, 2008
    Ratings:
    +209 / 6 / -1
  13. Jump

May 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +822 / 51 / -0

14. Tikigit

Tikigit Senior Magnate

Nov 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +415 / 17 / -0
    So it's somewhat newtonian at least, what remains to be seen is mass, thrust factors and the like.

After all it'll still feel very much like a arcade flight model if they just make everything super light and crank up thrust output for each individual thruster to give a "fast paced" feel to it all..