1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Windows 10 Poor Performance (Possible Fix)

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Help' started by jas4500, Feb 27, 2019.

1. jas4500

jas4500 Initiate

Feb 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    When I was playing this weekend I noticed the map view was very laggy and playing in some sectors was really choppy. I checked the frame rate and it was between 17-20 FPS. I tried running with my integrated GPU instead and it improved slightly at 25-30 FPS.

I think I’ve found a possible fix, but I have not had the time to test it properly. The fix involves using WineD3D and it works pretty well, but the Bink video intro causes some issues. The gameplay and map view are much smoother now. I’ll update this thread once I have a better working solution and have tested it.

I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue and whether or not they had a better solution.

2. GrimGriz

GrimGriz Senior Magnate

Jul 18, 2004
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    moving the video to a harmless directory doesn't seem to hurt anything and you don't have to watch it anymore :)
    The win10 part I cant' help with at present...

3. clanlord

clanlord Magnate

Jan 19, 2005
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    renaming it also gets rid of the video

4. jas4500

jas4500 Initiate

Feb 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I think everything is good now. For others who may have issues on Windows 10, here is what I did:

1. Set jumpgate.exe to run on integrated graphics (if you only have one graphics card you should not need to worry about this).

2. Download WineD3D from here: WineD3D For Windows - Federico Dossena

3. Then copy and paste d3d8.dll, libwine.dll, and wined3d.dll to the same folder as jumpgate.exe

4. Set jumpgate.exe to Windows 8 compatibility mode.

5. If you want the intro movie on, set netdevil.exe to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode. After the intro is over the game will boot up in a window for some reason. To get it back to fullscreen just click the Jumpgate icon on the taskbar.

6. If you want the intro movie off, just simply rename netdevil.exe and the game will boot normally to fullscreen.

5. GrimGriz

GrimGriz Senior Magnate

Jul 18, 2004
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    5. If you want the intro movie on, set netdevil.exe to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode. After the intro is over the game will boot up in a window for some reason. To get it back to fullscreen just click the Jumpgate icon on the taskbar

is it a resizeable window? That's actually kind of exciting to me, and seems like it might make alt-tabbing less painful...

6. jas4500

jas4500 Initiate

Feb 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately it’s a fixed borderless window. I think DxWnd might be a better option if you want to play windowed, but I haven’t tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jas4500

jas4500 Initiate

Feb 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I was able to do more testing and I think I have a better way for those who may want the intro. Do the above steps, but don't worry about setting a compatibility mode for netdevil.exe. Instead rename it to something like netdevila.exe then create a .bat file like this:

@Echo off

netdevila.exe
    jumpgate.exe

For those who don't know how to make a .bat file, just open notepad and copy and paste this and save the file with ".bat" instead of ".txt." Now the intro will play and the game will boot to fullscreen.

I think this method also makes Alt-Tabbing more stable. You should be able to Alt-Tab without issues from what I have seen.

But Jumpgate is much smoother now and the controls feel way more responsive.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify, put the .bat file in the same place as jumpgate.exe.

• Winner! Winner! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    Why does running it from a batch file make it run better?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jas4500

jas4500 Initiate

Feb 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It prevents the game from booting to a distorted window after the intro plays. Instead it boots normally.