1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas You may as well shut down this section of the forums...

Discussion in 'Jumpgate Evolution Archive' started by God_Damage, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God_Damage

God_Damage Initiate

Jul 9, 2007
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Apparently, their minds are made up as to what kind of game they're gonna make... the will of the people be damned. :jpshakehe

2. Chicod

Chicod Knight

Jun 20, 2007
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, you are correct. After hearing what they are planning to make the new game, I don't think that I'm really all that interested in it any more. I'll be looking more toward ones like Infinity (Infinity - Infinity - Index) to satisfy my cargo hauln' needs.

3. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    Hopefully there will be plenty of hauling for you to do soon as Jumpgate (original) is revived.

4. God_Damage

God_Damage Initiate

Jul 9, 2007
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong. I'm still gonna check out Jumpgate Evolution whenever it's released. But the enthusiasm I had has dropped considerably.

Here's my new suggestion: Just throw the Jumpgate Evolution graphics into Jumpgate Classic. :thumb:

5. netburnr

netburnr Senior Magnate

Aug 24, 2007
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    :jpshakehe

The underlying problems need to be fixed before adding graphics. A pretty looking broken game is still a broken game at the core.

6. Tim

Tim Senior Magnate

May 23, 2004
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps one lesson here is that JGC isn't 'broken', it's merely trying to do too many things. I think the bottom line is that users don't really _want_ to get along. Sure, the game structure is such that a person can choose to go any number of directions. But that only holds true until a second player logs in. At that point, they must jointly agree on a game type.

And that, apparently, just isn't going to happen. The smart folks figured that out.. a game which tries to be everything to everybody ends up being nothing to anybody.

JGC is a great game on paper... but it appears the experiment has clearly proven that games need more focus if they are going to make any money.

Edit: which is a shame.. JGC really is a classic

7. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    I'd submit that with the exception of compatibility issues related to technology that has changed a lot since 2001, and some unfinished business with the MT system, Jumpgate is not broken at all. It just can't function properly a) without more players (I'd say at least 200 at peak times); and b) without the ratio of PvPer to non-PvPer being at least 2:1 -- to create enough consumption to fire up the economy).

8. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Senior Magnate

Mar 22, 2005
    Ratings:
    +87 / 13 / -0
    I think the game is broken (though still quite playable). I disagree with Tim though. It isn't trying to be too many different things. It just doesn't have a big enough player base to support all of the options available.

9. netburnr

netburnr Senior Magnate

Aug 24, 2007
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I'm with Ambro and Seph, the problem isn't the game, its the game company that never advertised which led to not enough people playing. When there were 200 people on, 100 of which were fighting all the time... there was a game. Now its just a single player game basically.

10. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    Well I don't know how long it will last, but it's kind of fun right now with Istvan back on duty and with him having 100% business control ... there are new GMs showing up in-game during events ... there have been player-run events happening, and online number (though dreadfully low) have been creeping up . . . and Istvan has even talked about the possibility of accepting "donated" material (which has a lot of people pumped up).

Now I'm not naive -- this could all go away in a blink of Gazillion's eye -- but I'm enjoying this while it lasts.

11. kwip

kwip Knight

Dec 27, 2007
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aw, dammit Ambro! Stop this talk! You're making me want to dust off my joystick (because really, what I need in my life is to crash into more 'roids...).

12. Thor

Thor Senior Magnate

Sep 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +39 / 4 / -0
    Plenty of roids in JG kwip :)
    And we are starting to see more pilots online, it's quite nice.

Thor

13. God_Damage

God_Damage Initiate

Jul 9, 2007
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... maybe this was their intention all along. Build up all this hype for the new game everyone's been wanting for like 10 years, crush their dreams, and force all the junkies to go back to Jumpgate Classic to get their fix.

I'm not a conspiracy theory kinda guy, but... it almost makes TOO MUCH sense.

:nut:

lmao... jk

14. Thor

Thor Senior Magnate

Sep 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +39 / 4 / -0
    If that were the case joining Gazillion makes no sense. They would make more money without Gazillion.

Thor

15. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    Jumpgate can probably reap some significant benefits from JGE's "disappointments" but one has to tread carefully when trying to attract the dissatisfied customers from Gazillion's "marquis" product. ;)

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Senior Magnate

Mar 22, 2005
    Ratings:
    +87 / 13 / -0
    Speaking of shutting down this area of the forums, where the hell has Jump been lately?

17. netburnr

netburnr Senior Magnate

Aug 24, 2007
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I see him on instant messanger all the time, perhaps he is just as burned out about talking about this vaporware as the rest of us.

18. Ambrosius

Ambrosius Senior Magnate

May 31, 2004
    Ratings:
    +333 / 40 / -2
    Seems he's checked out on this whole website.

19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Senior Magnate

Mar 22, 2005
    Ratings:
    +87 / 13 / -0
    Maybe he made a bet with someone that if the Sharks didn't win the cup he wouldn't post on JSR for x amount of days/months/years? :p

20. Regan

Regan Senior Magnate

Feb 17, 2005
    Ratings:
    +194 / 15 / -1
    Jumpcrack wants youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, Kwip! =D :cheerleader:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.